Saturday, May 14, 2011

My dear tooth....

In my last post I let ya'll know about the pain I had been feeling and had been keeping to myself.

I also expressed my fear of dentists...well let's just say the past 2 days I had to face that fear twice.

Yesterday (Friday) I headed to the dentist terrified. The trip was quick, the dentist took a look, sent me to get an xray and then we discussed what was going to happen. The tooth that had been causing so much pain had broken a few months ago. When we missed our appointment it didn't bother me and so we forgot all about it. Well evidently the cause of all of this was a cavity. The cavity is the reason the molar broke but then the cavity got deeper and deeper until it was in the nerve! Which explains the pain in the whole left side of my mouth, in my ear, side of my head, down my neck, my shoulder, and arm....yeah (I was just so terrified of dentist that I let that go on for 2 whole weeks!!)

The dentist was up front and said he just didn't think he could get that tooth out and he got me a copy of my xray, got us a referral, and told us to call an oral surgeon. So my mom called and even though she expressed the pain  I was in we were told I was put onto a waiting list and that I couldn't be seen for 2 weeks. I knew I couldn't wait that long.

That was Friday, on Friday nights I do child care for a bible study at my church. I was in a lot of pain but I didn't want to let the parents who really relied on me down, so my mom let me know if the pain got too bad to get her, I got some ice and I went to watch the kids. Thankfully the pain went away and I was able to play with the kids. Afterwards we usually stay for about half an hour for fellowship and we got to talking with my pastor's daughter and she referred me to a dentist she use to work for. My mom called then this morning and they said they could take me today, maybe not till 5 pm but today none-the-less. Then we got a call at 11, if I could be there for 11:45 they could take me.

So TERRIFIED we drove over. Thankfully my little sister chilled in the waiting room so my mom could come in with me, and even though I told the dentist I couldn't do it a few times and cried a little he was very calm with me and understood my fears. They numbed my mouth (which stayed numb for about 2 hours lol). And got to work. It was a hard tooth to come out. I had my eyes closed and fists clenched the whole time. When it was done and over with I was just so overwhelmed that the tears started to flow. I couldn't stop, my mom was like "Does it hurt, what's wrong?". Nothing hurt, that was just the most traumatic and scary experience I've ever had and I was so overwhelmed. Thankfully after a nap with warm water resting on my mouth the numbing went away and I was able to eat.

Even though I'm not over my fear of dentists I'm glad that God helped me through this. I don't think I could have done it if I hadn't been in constant prayer. So now the pain's gone and I just have to let this heal.

Traumatizing, but I'm blessed to have this taken care of :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment